Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Les Miserables

Whilst awake and channel surfing the other night, I came across the 1995 version of Les Miserables. I had previously enjoyed both the 1998 version with Liam Neeson as Valjean and Geoffry Rush as Javert, as well as the 2000 version with Gerard Depardieu, so I had to see what this one had to offer. The spin is that it takes place in France as the Nazis are sweeping in, and Fortin/Valjean agrees to spirit away the Jewish Ziman family to freedom. I'm not sure which version I enjoyed more, but they were all very enjoyable and I recommend them if you're in to the classics.

I have come to enjoy subtitled movies, most notably The Count of Monte Cristo miniseries from 1998, again with the aforementioned Gerard Depardieu. The 2002 movie was decent, but I would totally watch the miniseries over the movie.

If I had to pick between the two stories, I would choose The Count over Les for sure. If you're a hater of all things French (Freedom Fries lovers need not apply) don't bother, if you are sophisticated and cultured (unlike me) go for it.

What literary classics do you enjoy on the big screen and/or idiot box?

No comments: