Monday, August 3, 2009

Yeah, but it's a dry heat, Sarge.

On Thursday, we had an indoor soccer doubleheader at WISC. First game started at 6:20 followed by the 7:10 tilt. I'm happy to report The Crew came away victorious both matches!

When it gets hot around here (like it was on Thursday), WISC turns into an industrial-sized convection oven. The field is housed in a rectangular warehouse made from mostly corrugated metal (steel? tin?) and it is just plain HOT in there. I was sweating within the first 5 minutes after kickoff, and as my wife likes to point out, I'm a goalie and I was just standing there.

The boys who had to do the actual running around and scoring did great! Everyone seemed to just be clicking, shots were hitting the corners, one-timers were beautifully struck, and the passing tape-to-tape, to steal a hockey term. No one passed out or pulled themselves due to the heat, so chalk one up for staying hydrated and also a well-timed sub rotation.

I was a little worried I would be sucking wind because I've been hiding in my air-conditioned house during Seattle's "Killer Heat Wave 2009!!!" but that was not the case. Like my mates, I played a great pair of matches, and felt good enough to even play a third (thankfully that didn't happen). I have to wonder if playing indoor was actually easier than outdoor - we were out of the direct sun, with the tradeoff of slightly higher temperatures indoors - at least I think it worked that way.

All things considered, I'll be happy on gameday this week to play in cooler temps.

No comments: